Friday, June 20, 2008

Don't Forget to Stop and Smell The Roses


For some reason this phrase keeps popping into my head.

I know most people my age are focused on making money and their careers. I think I have both. Im pretty sure I make more money then probably 95% of all people my age, and my career is advancing nicely. However, I still feel like there is something missing.

I've lost interest in my job. I think it has been sucking the life out of me. And I think this is why the phrase "Don't forget to stop and smell the roses" keeps popping in my head. I love engineering, and unfortunately my job is only abotu 15% engineering. The rest of it is doing crap a highschooler could do. I spend a lot of my time looking stuff up on warehouse stock items, or entering in data into a computer database. It really annoys me that I went to one of the hardest 4 year programs to basically be a technical secretary.

A lot of people may consider my job a "dream job" (I know I did when I first took it). I get paid a large bonus for working overseas, plus I work 4 weeks and then get 4 weeks of vacation. This means I get half the year off! Unfortunately the job turned out to be nothing like the Job Description when I accepted the job offer. For some reason I've allowed it to go on for 2.5 yeras without doing anything. I think because I have allowed the money and vacation benefits to cloud my judgement.

I love to travel, and because of my job I have been able to go to Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Hong Kong, and Korea (for 13 weeks). My job has also funded all of this traveling and a lot of "toys" back in the US (Probably should have saved more, but you cant take money with you when you die). But at what cost have I done all this?

As I evaluate my life I think I should have smelled the roses more often.



There are still things missing in my life. I think I need to start focusing more on them. I think I have made a lot of decisions at the expense of my personal life to build up my professional life. Is there ever a balance? I think I need to start weighing my personal life more in my decisions.



I have already started on the job front. I have applied to a couple of MBA programs and starting to look at my career for changes. I do know that I would like to get back to the US, maybe, or maybe live in Korea. Only time will tell.

The one thing for sure thing that I will do is stop and smell the roses and flowers along the road of life that I travel. I will not lose that focus again!

(BTW, I took these pictures on Jeju Island)

2 comments:

  1. Good point.

    ...but I can't believe you get 4 weeks off for every 4 weeks worked. ^^ That sounds pretty dreamy to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yea, it is nice when you are on vacation. However, when you are at work you work 12-16 hours a day for 28 straight days. It easily takes a week of your vacation to recover from that! If you work out the numbers, we actually work more hours in a year then if you worked a normal schedule.

    I know when I explained this to people I met in Korea their eyes popped out of their heads and their jaws dropped to the floors. It was funny seeing their reaction.

    ReplyDelete