Saturday, June 14, 2008

What it means to be Adopted: Korean-American?

I know this is the probably the most logical category to put me in. I was born in Korea and am a US citizen. However, in my view Korean-Americans are people who's parents immigrated to the US and were born in the US. Their parents are Korean, the children are Korean-American.

This may be my own psychotic beliefs on this, but either way, I dont associate with many Koreans in the US. The only interaction I have is usually at the Korean restaurants. There is a large Korean community in Detroit. However, they are more like I described above; Korean born parents immigrate with children born in the US.

Ironically, of all of the groups I feel less drawn into this category. Perhaps because I have the least exposure to this group.

No comments:

Post a Comment