Saturday, June 14, 2008

What it means to be Adopted: Introduction

I am 27 years old and I was adopted when I was almost 5. Lately I have been struggling a little with this. I never had these problems when I was growing up. I think largely because I was so desparate to fit in and to adjust to my new surroundings that I didnt really care.

I am fortunate to have an international job where I work for 4 weeks and then I get 4 weeks of vacation (on a rotation basis). So in the last year I have visited Korea 3 times, twice for 4 weeks and once for 5 weeks. I absolutely love Korea. Each time I go back, my feelings for Korea grow stronger. It also has me thinking about the whole identity issue. Am I American, Korean, or Korean-American?

Im not sure if other adoptee's are in the similar situation (but I think they are because I have read that more and more adoptees are returning to Korea). Ive also read of adoptees having these issues growing up too, so Im not sure which is more prevalent.

I had to stop and think about how Im going to organize this blog so its not a wall of text. Ive decided I will split into 3-4 parts describing each of the issues.

2 comments:

  1. I find this topic to be very intesting. I'm adopted from Korea(with my biological brother and sister)and never really cared to much about Korea. On the other hand my sister loves everything and anything that has to do with Korea. Of course through wierd circumstances, I'm here in Korea and she is not.

    I was raised in Grand Blanc (near Flint) and love America. I knew I stood out but my family and friends never made me feel that I never fit in. It was only in Korea where I felt both a part of the crowd and left out. I prefer standing out from the crowded. It was nice at first but now I'm very jealous of my white friends. They have people comming up to them just because thier white. I want that!

    In America, only a few people would comment on my race. I do find it funny how fascinated some people can be about Asia and asian people. Most white/black/mexican/ect. will ask questions to me that they wouldn't ask anyone else. When I meet someone new, they will ask if I'm chinese,japanese,korean or something else. Really! When was the last time they asked what part of Europe, Africa, ect. are you from?

    Of course it doesn't really bother me. I like making them look like a fool. I just tell them that thier wrong and to keep on guessing(even when thier right).

    I only mention this because it seem that they can except other races being american but not asians.

    Anyways, I like your blog keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How weird is that! I grew up in Grosse Pointe Woods, MI. About 1 hour from Grand Blanc! I worked as an intern in Saginaw and drove through Flint all the time. Its amazing how close we grew up together.

    Did your family ever eat at the Seoul Garden restaurant in Troy?

    I know what you mean about being jealous of your white friends. I brought my parents, grandfather, and my adopted sister to Korea in May for 2 weeks. A lot of Koreans wanted to come up and have their picture taken with the "White People" and pretty much blew off my sister and I.

    How long will you be living in Korea? I wish I could do that. I hope someday in my future I can live in Korea for an extended period of time.

    ReplyDelete